ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE YOUR LIFE MATTER, OR ARE YOU GOING TO SQUANDER IT AWAY?

Time is the greatest leveler. It doesn't care if you live in Australia, Japan or South Africa. It doesn't care if you are a woman, man or child. It doesn't care whether you are a carpenter, accountant or a dog trainer.  We all have the same amount of time - 24 hours in a day.

Then why is it that despite having the same amount of time, some people will use that time in their life to break records, make a difference, climb mountains, invent things, save lives or educate communities… yet others will barely survive?  Or spend their entire lives just consuming & accumulating. Or complaining. 

Complaining about how governments cannot be trusted, how the cost of living is unfairly high, how big corporations are out to get everyone. 

Sometimes I wonder if these people ever stop and take responsibility for their life results. It appears there is always someone else or something else to be blamed.

They can tell you what's wrong with things, but they will never do anything to make things right, whether it is for themselves or others.

By blaming everyone and everything else, not only do they shun any responsibility, they also give up their power. Their power to do something, to make a change, to make a difference. 

They let time slip by, like sand slipping between their fingers.

I recently heard that only 2% of people in the world make a difference. Yes, only 2%. What are the other 98% doing?

I guess most people are too busy complaining or consuming. 

It made me think - problems like human trafficking, drug addiction, suicide, child sex trade and poverty could be halved if instead of 2% of people, 4% of people decided to make a difference. 

Therefore, by doubling the number of difference makers, the problems of the world could be halved.

One would assume that getting 4% of the world population to make a difference wouldn't be so hard. Except... it is...

Most people who read this want to make a difference, but probably never will.

Why, because changing the world starts with changing yourself first. And most people resist change. The second reason is that it is easy to blame others than to take responsibility. And the third reason is indifference. "I don't care" or "I can't be bothered" seem to be the daily principles many people live by.

In addition, many of those that have the means to make a difference are completely obsessed with self- consumption. Having more, but never thinking of being more or doing more.

This is not a rant. This is also not a self-righteous blog. I can't be self-righteous, because I am guilty of being obsessed with consumption and accumulation myself.

But that was the past. Now I know better. I understand that we are not just here to consume. I understand that we need to do our little bit. I understand that we need to go from just surviving to success but we do not need to stop there. I understand that we need to use our time, talents and some of our resources to make a little difference.

Because, if everyone did their little bit, we wouldn't have to rely on the 2% to save the world.

You were born to win!

- Ron Malhotra

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Not a member? Sign up. Log Out